Get a jump start on a good-paying career in building trades.
What is Building Futures?
Sign up below for this free, three-week Building Futures program, a pre-apprenticeship program that will prepare you for work or a paid apprenticeship opportunity in the building trades. This program will initially be offered in Allen County, but will gradually be rolled out in other communities across northeast Indiana.
Building Futures teaches you basic skills in the construction industry. You'll complete a hands-on construction project and learn these fundamental skills:
- Problem-solving and organization
- Safety and health requirements
- Blueprint reading
- Construction math
- Material handling
- Tool utilization
- Quality control
Complete the program and you'll have the opportunity to earn an Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) training completion recognition, a Manufacturing Skills Standards Certification (MSSC) and a Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certification. These certificates show employers you're better prepared to go right to work.
You may also apply for a full apprenticeship. If accepted, you'll be paid as you complete an associate's degree from Ivy Tech and receive on-the-job training to become a journeyman in one of the many building trades. It's a rare opportunity to earn a degree with no student loans.
Why a building trades career?
- Employment in northeast Indiana's construction industry is expected to grow in the next decade, especially as longtime workers in the building trades contemplate retirement. It is estimated more than 5,000 additional building trades workers will be needed in the next 10 years.
- Average earning (wages and benefits) for construction workers in our area is more than $1,300 per week or $59,000 a year.
- Training under apprenticeship programs is free to participants and you incur no student loan debt.
And, if you like working with your hands, this may be the ultimate fit for your interests.
Please fill out and submit the form below and we will be in touch.
Building Futures is a program of the Northeast Indiana Building & Construction Trades Council, Northeast Indiana Works and Ivy Tech Community College Northeast.